Back Again in 2022
Even with a portion of the Denali Park Road closed for construction this summer, there's so much to see and do in the park. Plus, some of the most beloved facilities and services are reopening after two years of closures:
- Denali Visitor Center - Open again! Chat with park rangers and view exhibits detailing all manner of park wildlife and human history at this world-class visitor center.
- Savage River Shuttle - Running again! Operating every 15 minutes during peak season (May 26 to August 16) between the Visitor Center and the Savage River.
- Denali Park Kennels - Demoing again! The kennel is bringing back their working sled dog program this summer, which also happens to be their 100th anniversary. These programs will be offered at 10:00 AM, 2:00 PM, and 4:00 PM daily during peak season. Courtesy buses to the kennels will depart from the visitor center starting 40 minutes before each program. Go early to get a good spot.
Tips for Working Around Bus Tour Availability
The Tundra Wilderness Tour is the park's classic excursion, taking visitors deep into the backcountry and among some spectacular landscapes and wildlife. This also means it's quite popular, and seats are filling fast. Here are some tips for working around this:
- If the park tops your must-see list, plan the rest of your trip around it. Check current availability via the "Availability" tab on the Tundra Wilderness Tour page. If you see limited availability, give us a call and we can give you more details on what's open to book.
- PM Tundra Wilderness departures typically have more availability than AM departures.
- Still no luck for your dates? The Denali Natural History Tour is a great alternative inside the park, taking you 17 miles on the Park Road and focusing on the human history of the area. You can also check out the Denali Highway Backcountry Adventure. This bus tour travels outside the park on a remote stretch of gravel road known as the Denali Highway.
New Tours in the Area
We're excited to announce two new tours outside the park to fill out your Denali experience.
- DogGoneIt Denali Kennel Tour - Meet racing sled dogs and learn what it takes to care for and train these canine athletes and run the famed Iditarod ... all while living off the grid in Alaska.
- Denali Highway Backcountry Adventure - As mentioned above, see a whole new side of the mighty Alaska Range on this full-day guided bus tour.
You can find a complete list of things to do in the Denali Park area here.
At Alaska Tour & Travel, we specialize in building custom trips for every timeline, personality, and budget. If you'd like to have an Alaskan plan your Alaska trip, give us a call at 800-208-0200.
Posted on March 03, 2022 in: Alaska Parks